When the temperatures are running over 90 degrees, nobody should have to tun on their stove or oven to get a nutritious meal on the table. That’s where a store bought rotisserie chicken can come in to save the day! I’m sharing with you three different ways to use up a bird for two people and each of these “recipes’ are fast, simple, packed with nutrition and most importantly delicious!
Here’s your shopping list:
- 1 rotisserie chicken- purchase one that is unseasoned or, at most, a lemon herb rub
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 bunch radishes
- pine nuts
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Wash butter lettuce and tear apart using hands or roughly chop with a knife. In a large bowl, place 4 cups of prepped greens.
- Shred 6-8 ounces of chicken, or about 2 palm-sized portions worth, and add to greens bowl.
- Cut root ends off radishes, then cut in half starting from the green stem. Slice each half into half-moon pieces- the thickness is up to you. Use about 5 radishes total. Add radishes to salad.
- Cut half an avocado into cubes and add. Sprinkle 1/4 cup pine nuts over greens. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon and drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the salad. Mix with hands or salad tongs and serve.
Rotisserie Wraps Two Ways
- Shred 6-8 ounces of chicken, or enough to make about 2-2.5 cups of shredded chicken, place in mixing bowl. To chicken, add half an avocado and mix two ingredients well. The avocado should be creamy enough to create a “sauce” a la mayonnaise used in a traditional chicken salad. Add a small squeeze of lemon and pinch of salt once mixed well. Set aside.
- Finely dice 1/4 cup red onion- use more or less in wrap depending on tastes and reseve any extra (great to add into a guacamole!). With the other onion half, cut into thin slices and place in glass jar. To quick pickle, bring 1.5 cups of white vinegar and a pinch of sugar to boil on the stove, then pour liquid over onion slices (the onions should be fully covered). Let sit as onions will start to turn pink and pickle. This quick pickle can be stored in the fridge for about 1 week.
- From the above salad recipe, separate and clean 3 butter lettuce leaves, and be sure to pat them dry well. Slice 1-2 radishes into half moon shapes.
- To assemble wheat wrap: start with 1 whole wheat tortilla, create base layer of a handful of pre-washed spinach, spoon 1 1/4 cup of chicken salad mixture on top, add diced red onions, then wrap and serve.
- To assemble lettuce wraps: lay out 3 lettuce leaves, divide 1 1/4 cup chicken salad into each leaf, top with pickled onion and radishes, and serve.