It’s taken me a while, but I’ve finally come around to tofu. Now, I know it’s not a requirement to incorporate tofu into a plant-based diet, but sometimes you just need to get creative, push your taste buds a bit, and try a few new ways to prepare an unfamiliar food.
I wanted to share two tofu recipes I’ve made recently and were shared on social media. Some of you expressed interest in the recipe so, ask and you shall receive!
Do you eat tofu? What are your tricks for preparing it?
Spicy Tofu Tacos- Serves 1
- 2 cups pre-cubed firm tofu- it will shrink down in the oven
- 2 tsp each- cumin, garlic powder, adobo chili powder, olive oil
- Tacos fillings of choice: I went with a shortcut and used Trader Joe’s frozen Fire Roasted Peppers and Onions and frozen Cauilflower Rice. Fresh sliced veggies will work, but the cauliflower rice is a must!
- Taco toppings: chopped cilantro, diced red onion, lime juice
- 3 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, mix the tofu with the seasoning mixture and olive oil. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until tofu is no longer soft and somewhat crispy.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the fillings. Saute peppers and onions, and add in cauliflower rice to heat up and become crispy.
- Once all pieces are cooked, assemble tacos in lightly charred corn tortillas and top with favorite garnishes!
Tofu Bolognese – Serves 1
- 1.5 cups pre-cubed firm tofu
- 1 tsp each- dried basil, dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 cups cooked Banza pasta
- handful of favorite green- arugula or spinach
- Cook pasta until al dente. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together tofu, basil, oregano, and tomato paste. Set aside.
- To a warmed saute pan, add olive oil, onion, and carrot. Cook for 3-5 minutes, then add garlic. Continue cooking until carrots have softened and onion is translucent. Then add tofu mixture and cherry tomatoes to saute pan. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until tomatoes have began to break open and release their juices, creating an easy tomato sauce.
- To serve, mix cooked pasta with greens and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with tofu bolognese sauce and add salt to taste.